RE: NYTimes.com: College May Become Unaffordable for Most in U.S.

Sandy Thatcher said: "Penn State also claims, however, to return
$22 in economic impact on the state for every dollar in state
appropriations."

When I worked in the University of Illinois Office for Planning &
Budgeting a colleague (Randy Kangas) calculated the return on
investment for the state's "investment" in undergraduate
education at Illinois. This wasn't "economic impact", but the
actual dollar amount the state received in income taxes after the
students' graduation, for every tax dollar the state gave the
university. For every dollar the state invests in undergraduates
at Illinois, Kangas found that the state gets back $4.31 in taxes
over time. This translates to a 6% real return on investment for
the state.

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN