Re: Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

Ian Russell schrieb:

> The 'bottom-line' is, by definition, revenue minus costs so you
> can't talk about the 'bottom-line' without considering costs...
>
> Incidentally, Fred, your logic is flawed and it is perfectly
> possible and indeed reasonable that the cost of producing print
> is a 90% base cost + 10% additional cost for print, the cost
> for online is a 90% base cost + 10% for online and that
> therefore the price for online and print is a 90% base price +
> 10% for print + 10% for online = 110%.
>
> In any case, the situation varies from publisher to publisher
> and different policies and practices have emerged and continue
> to evolve.  Please remember, Fred, that when journal publishers
> (who were at the vanguard of embracing and implementing the
> web) first put their content online they generally added this
> for free bundled with a print subscription even though the
> costs of doing so (especially when the technology was not
> mature) was great (thus reducing the 'bottom-line' and
> decreasing profitability).

Yes, I do remember the times when Wiley added "free online
access" to its print journals.

At the end of 1998, after Wiley had brought their journals
online, prices went up a staggering 20% on average, at least 10%
above the "industry average" for 1999. So the "Basic Access" for
Wiley journals was never "free" for library customers, it was
just bundled with rising journal prices. Wiley's revenues
advanced 9% in the fiscal year ended April 30, 1999, while
operating income rose 41%, resulting in an operating margin of
12.5% the highest in nearly two decades. The market price of
Wiley's shares advanced 46% in the same year. So much for
reducing the profitability.

When Wiley at the end of 2001 finally "unbundled" e-access and
print, they used the convenient "extra cost" argument to
introduce another hidden price increase of 5% (on top of their
ca. 12% "list price" increase, same as the year before), by
setting "e-access + print combined" as 105% of the list price,
e-only and print at 100%, instead of 100% / 95% / 95%. If they
redefined what constitutes the baseline they should have
readjusted their list price increase by 5 percent points
downwards, but of course that did not happen. (2 years later the
combination price was increased by another 5%, so that now P = O
= 100%, P+O = 110%.)

Now the same is happening again with Blackwell journals. Online
only Premium access is set at 100% of the list price instead of
95% before, a 5% price increase. A Print subscription no longer
includes limited online access to the current and the last 2
years, but is still priced at 100% of the list price. The former
"Premium" print plus online still costs 110% as before, but is
now limited to a single "campus location" only (Wiley calls this
"campus-wide single-site access", a contradiction in itself, and
the unwritten Wiley policy of a limitation to at most 10 class C
nets is as absurd as it always was, especially if Wiley wants to
get Shibboleth compliant by next year.)

The median list price increase for Blackwell titles last year was
6,5...7%, this year it is 9%, and sites who already have
"flipped" (switched to e-only), are penalized by an even higher
increase (14%). So Fred Friend seems to be right when he finds
that costs for maintaining a print distribution line are in part
offloaded to e-only subscribers. Wiley could have avoided this by
setting the base line for the list price at last year's e-only
price plus price increase 2008 -> 2009, but of course that did
not happen.

> Regarding your argument that Wiley-Blackwell are including the
> cost for print delivery in the online price, the actual
> distribution of the journal is a far smaller cost that the
> 'first copy' cost of printing the issue.  In comparison online
> delivery platforms, discovery tools, SEO etc represent a
> significant investment.

Your logic seems to be flawed, too. "Online delivery platforms,
discovery tools, SEO etc." are a basic investment, just like the
costs for maintaining a print production line; but the marginal
cost of adding electronic access for another title to a
customer's online account is certainly smaller than the marginal
cost of producing and distributing a further print copy to a
library. And unfortunately, for the former Blackwell titles the
online delivery platform and discovery tools provided now are
much worse than the high standard set by the Synergy platform
before, and they will remain so for at least a full year after
the recent transition, as we are waiting for the "next generation
online service" that has now been rescheduled for mid 2009
(subject to confirmation ...) instead of January 2009 as
originally promised.

> This price structure - or something very similar to it - is
> also common across many journal publishers so it's unfair to
> single out one publisher.

The reason is not the price structure as such, but the context
and license conditions under which it is applied, plus the fact
that this is clearly one of the few major STM publishers who
still is not willing to moderate its annual price increases (in
contrast to Elsevier, for example). If all those multi-year and
consortia deals that promise stability and predictability to both
the publisher and the library do not lead to any moderation of
annual list price increases, then something must be going wrong.
However, it seems clear that this pricing strategy offers all
sorts of opportunities for a publisher to maintain high profit
margins even in an economic climate that has become much tougher
than before (libraries who have to retreat from a multi-year
consortium deal because their budget does no longer bear it have
then very little chance to decrease their spend w/o massive
cancellations and lost access). Wiley is successful with this
strategy, as any shareholder knows.

> In fact, so much of large journal publishers' sales (and to
> some extent small ones too via things like the ALPSP Learned
> Journal Collection and BioOne) are to consortia or in the form
> of bundles as to make the discussion almost moot.

I disagree. Bundles are an opportunity but also beset with many
problems, as ALPSP well knows (your own Learned Journal
Collection was an answer to the risk of being squeezed out of the
market through the binding of an ever increasing part of
librairies serials budget in multi-year "big deals"). And as long
as serials pricing continue to be increasing at rates much higher
than inflation rates, bundles will only provide a temporary
relief. So customers should continue to have a choice between
flexible enough bundled deals and single title purchases and not
be forced into bundle deals. Publisher practices that try to
limit and discourage this freedom of choice should be rejected.

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper