Re: Why Cornell's Institutional Repository Is Near-Empty

For various reasons, I have so far needed to ask [FOR copies of
ARTICLES] people I did not already know about 5 or 6 times.

Once I received a request to send a reader's report on the
article in exchange to show I really needed it.

Another time I received an incredulous note that the library I
was at didn't have it

A third was in a Postscript format that I couldn't read,

The other 2 or 3 times there were no problems.

Years ago, when as a student I was still sending out reprint
request cards, they too had about a 50% response rate. I
understand that rate is considered rather high, but I was at one
of the best known labs.

And for people whom I know, it of course always works, and in the
old days researchers sent their friends reprints without being
asked.  Both the formal and the informal systems were and remain
oriented to the needs of elite research groups

Further, this matches my slightly more systematic result: out of
11 social science manuscripts on author's sites, 5 were not
retrievable as posted 18 months later.

Other studies on linkrot have similar results.

Retrieval systems for Green OA aren't perfect, but even Google
Scholar can do better than 50%.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu