Re: A Keystroke Koan For Our Open Access Times

Stevan,  How would you go about funding the conversion of individual
institutions such as universities?

How would you use funding to achieve "the implementation of official
institutional self-archiving *policies*"?

As a member of the Information Sub-Board of OSI, I would be interested
in seeing a series of concrete tactics and strategies in this regard.

Best,

Jean-Claude Gu�don

On Fri October 1 2004 04:40 pm, Stevan Harnad wrote:

>The two funding notices below from Open Access News caught my eye for
>the sheer irony of these misdirected good intentions: Of course OA
>journal publishing can use all the financial help it can get, but if
>these two well-meaning OA supporters -- JISC and OSI -- were to spend
>the same amount of money on funding the conversion of individual
>institutions rather than individual journals to OA provision (by
>funding the creation of institutional OA Eprint Archives and, more
>important, the implementation of official institutional self-archiving
>*policies*), that would generate far, far more OA for the same money!

SNIP