Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: Monopolies

[SNIP]

If I remember my Econ-101 correctly, the theory behind free markets is
basically that people pay for resources which a) they able to afford and
b) they believe are sold at a worthwhile price (note I do not write "fair
price").  Unless pop-culture theory has corrupted my memory (strong
possibility), the theory of free markets also states that a monopoly
doesn't exist as long as others may reasonably enter the market, usually
with either reduced prices or a superior product in order to gain market
share.  I don't believe a monolithic monopoly exists right now. My
department works with many organizations who are not, as far as I can see,
price-gouging or stifling competition.  In fact, from my point of view,
there are very strong market forces at work, and have been for a long
time.

The entire point behind Open Access (as you've certainly supported via
BMC) is to reduce the price to the consumer (readers) in an attempt to
gain market share (more readers), drawing that market away from the
current large publishers. The debate is whether or not the producers
(author + publishers) believe the model is worthwhile, and whether or not
two believe they can reach their desired goals (be it the dissemination of
the research or profit) and stay in business (performing research or
publishing it).

[Snip]

James A. Robinson                       jim.robinson@stanford.edu