Re: Monopolies and copyright (RE: Wellcome Trust report)

Copyright is consistent with monopoly, but they are not inevitably
intertwined.

I can retain copyright in the sense of integrity of my work and right of
attribution, while at the same time freely distributing my work to anyone
who might like to read it.

Even in the commercial sector, there is nothing to stop me from selling
redistribution rights to as many different companies as I like, provided
of course that they are agreeable to these terms.

In some of the aggregated databases, we see this happening now - the same
magazine, with all its copyrighted articles, is available in several
products.  This is an illustration of how copyright can be just as
consistent with a competitive market as with monopoly.

cheers,

Heather Morrison