Re: BioMedCentral Revised Institutional Membership Model

Mr. Velterop,

We can talk syntax and semantics until we're blue in the face.  However,
the term "membership" in this case, based on our understanding, was
clearly synonymous with "flat rate."  When our consortium was negotiating
with BMC, there was never mention of anything other than a flat rate with
our "membership."  Prior to that our faculty had to pay $500 per article
to publish in BMC journals.  The only rationale we would have for
"joining" BMC as "members" would be to save our users part or all of that
$500.  Our goal was not and is not to simply tranfer the per-article cost
from the faculty member to the library.  Even with our consortium's 10%
discount off of the "new" per-article cost of $525, we'd still be back to
paying close to $500 per article.  This is not the "deal" we signed on
for.  We all will have a lot of thinking/evaluating to do before
considering renewal.

Yes, we do understand the necessity for your company and others to charge
enough to cover all of your costs and make a reasonable profit.  However,
many of us were not provided with enough information to understand your
company's actual policy.  We must have a full understanding if we are to
make good decisions.  For whatever reason, this did not happen this
go-around.

In this or another of your messages you say you (the company) have not
detected any "suspicion" on the part of your customer base.  You have not
been listing to some or our comments on our consortia or other lists.  I
guess you can consider this your wake-up call.

We consider the BMC product to be a good one.  Let's hope we can come to a
better, mutual understanding such that we can continue a business
relationship in the future.

Tom Williams

Thomas L. Williams, A.H.I.P., M.S.L.S.
Director, Biomedical Libraries