Re: IngentaSelect usage stats

July 25, 2003

Another problem with IngentaSelect usage stats:

If you sum the rows, horizontally, the totals match, however this is not
true vertically with the columns.

If you sum all the activity for a particular month, it does not equal the
"Total for all journals".  For example, if I sum the Jun-03 column under
"Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Month and Journal for
Jan 2002 to Jun 2003" it equals "36".  (This is when the column is summed
vertically).  However, the "Total for all journals" reported for Jun-03 is
"38".

I also find the "Number of Full-Text Turnaways by Month and Journal for
Jan 2002 to Jun 2003" suspicious since our 2003 YTD is 4,648.  (That's an
incredible amount of turnaways for an institution of 1,200 FTEs).  After
adding all of our monthly 2003 columns, I can not reproduce the YTD total,
nor does it come close!

Respectfully,

Elizabeth Lorbeer, EdM, MLS
Collection Development Manager
Library of Rush University
Rush University Medical Center
Chicago, Illinois 60612

____

Mark Funk wrote:

I recently downloaded our library's usage statisticss from IngentaSelect
(standard statistics, not the advanced statistics). I had to inquire from
IngentaSelect's help desk why many titles had "n/a" listed instead of a
number or even zero. I was informed that this occurs for titles where the
publisher has not agreed to their journal being included in the
statistical reporting. Here is a breakdown of the number of times various
publishers occured in our statistics:

Taylor & Francis (all imprints): 35
BMJ Publishing: 6
Sage: 3
Oxford University Press: 1
Duke University Press: 1
British Editorial Society of Bone & Joint surgery: 1

Can anyone explain why publishers would not want us to have
statistics on how often their journals are used?

--
Mark Funk
mefunk@mail.med.cornell.edu