Re: National Online: Nature and Others... (like SCIENCE)

I am a personal subscriber to Science as an AAAS member. I have access to
three university libraries but do not "work" in any university. I very
rarely use the libraries concerned. You cannot tell this from my address.
I would not wish AAAS to refuse me facilities which they want to give to
members but cannot afford to do if they have to give them to institutions
also.

When I was a publisher we wondered how to deal with the problem AAAS has.
A starting point was to look at the addresses of our individual
subscribers and try to guess how many we would lose if we included the
particular journal concerned in a consortial offer. This is hopelessly
unscientific. In all this correspondence I have not seen any clear
explanation about how a publisher should handle this problem. Loss of
income is a problem even if it is potential loss of income. Budgets are
crucial for publishers as they are for libraries.

Almost all learned societies are desparately worried about how to keep
their members many of whom are thought to belong mainly for the journal.
Commercial publishers who partner with them in their publications
routinely offer special extras for members only: this is what they are
asked to do. If they did not provide these facilities the society would go
to another partner.

These are three different points and only tangential to what David has
written but I wonder how they fit in with his very library-centred scheme.
A system of ethics of information flow based on the library is surely one
which many authors and users would be unhappy with as much as they should
be with any system based upon the interests of publishers, even if they
are not-for-profit and representing the scholarly community. I happen to
agree with David about the importance of libraries but there are many
research groups who consider that libraries are irrelevant. They want to
disintermediate (at least as far as libraries are concerned) because they
consider that they would get information easier that way.

If members want their publisher to provide something which the publisher
does not want to provide for libraries and thus for lots of non-members I
cannot see that this is unethical. On the other hand I cannot see why
libraries should not try very hard to get this additional content or
earlier availability either by lobbying or (in the end) cancelling. Both
actions seem to me to be "ethical" and acting in self-interest.

Anthony Watkinson
Visiting Professor in Information Science at City University London