RE: National Online: Nature and Others... (like SCIENCE)

Rick, we have 6000 fte and 30,000 journals. At $0.50 per fte, if they all
charged at that rate, our cost for journals would be $90 Million.  (For
perspective, our current total acquisition budget is about $10 Million.)

You would probably say only the good journals should charge at this rate.
I wonder how many of the 30,000 would say they aren't good and should
therefore charge less?  I will not argue for the current model of pricing,
by which the poorer journals cost more because of their lower circulation
and high first-copy costs, but this one is no more rational.

David Goodman,
Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu
609-258-3235