Threaded Index

UCC Article 2B update

Hello:

Chris Hoving, Managing Editor, UCC Bulletin/UCC Reporting Service,
recently posted the message below to the UCCLAW-L listserv.  His news is
that submission of _Article 2B - Licensing_ to state legislatures will be
delayed until 1999.

Hoving's news confirms the report in US Law Week that ALI would try to
delay approval of the Article until 1999:  Citing concerns about the scope
of the April 15 draft -- particularly its coverage of information
resources beyond software products, and its treatment of electronic
contracting -- as well as "technical problems,"  the deputy director of
ALI announced on April 22, 1998 that ALI would delay final approval of
Article 2B until 1999. (Jennifer B. Lucas, Draft Uniform Licensing Law
Hits Snag; ALI Will Delay Vote on Final Draft Until 1999, 66 U.S. Law Week
2644 (1998).)

Further, Professor Charles R. McManis, leader of an unsuccessful attempt
in 1997 to include copyright preemption language in Article 2B, may try
again to introduce language that preserves in the licensing realm fair use
and other rights granted under copyright law. (For more on this, see
Matthew Kavanaugh, UCC 2B & Federal Preemption, UCCLAW-L, May 4, 1998 <
ucclaw-l@assocdir.wuacc.edu >.)

Please let me know if you have questions or comments.

Rob Richards

  		     Robert C. Richards, Jr., M.A., M.S.L.I.S

  		     Technical Services Librarian
  		     University of Colorado Law Library
                     Fleming Law Building
                     Kittredge Loop South