Threaded Index

Re: Not negotiable?

At Texas we have been in active negotiation with several faculty about
various corpora products.  I showed them these products (which they
liked), and explained that we would not be able to purchase it because of
licensing issues -- and that other tax supported insitutions in our state
would have the same problems.  They were, of course mystified at why such
an impasse would exist between publishers and state contracting laws &
rules.

Rick Anderson's suggestion of no license for financially strapped
publishers is an interesting one.  We currently license more than a
hundred web databases and I'm not sure how many e-journals including some
without a license.  The reality is that there is no way that we as a
library could treat each of these vendors differently.  We place all
products through the same general authorization/copyright/security
precautions whether we have a license or not.  In our case, at least,
Michigan would get the same real (though perhaps not legal) protections
whether or not they had a license, but because of their license and
non-negotiation stance we wouldn't be able to purchase their product.  So
by having both a restrictive license and a non-negotiation policy, they
would essentially be withdrawing themselves from the market in our state.

--Dennis Dillon
Univ of Texas at Austin

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library