Threaded Index

Re: Not negotiable?

Michele Newberry is probably correct for most of the state-supported univ-
ersities and colleges in the U.S., she certainly is for Virginia as to the
big three No!No!'s.  What do we do now?

Connie Kelley, Acquisitions Librarain/Contracts Manager
            University of Virginia Library
         Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2498

On May 14, 20:16, Michele Newberry wrote:
> Subject: Re: Not negotiable?
> My quick reactions based on a very superficial reading so far:
>
> 1. The only legal entity in the Florida State University System is the
> Florida Board of Regents.  All signatories at the individual institutions
> sign for and on behalf of the BOR.
>** As a unit of state government, we are
> not allowed to sign any license that is governed by the laws of another
> state.  It either has to be silent on that point or say that the license
> will be governed by the State of Florida.
>
>** 2. We are not allowed to sign any license with an indemnification clause
> of this nature.
>
>** 3. Nor can we sign a license that negates the purchase order language
> (and I suspect the University of Michigan couldn't do that either).
>

>   -Michele Newberry

> Michele Newberry
> Assistant Director for Library Services               352/392-9020
> Florida Center for Library Automation (FCLA)      fax 352/392-9185
> 2002 NW 13th Street, Suite 320                 http://www.fcla.edu
> Gainesville, FL 32609                   fclmin@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
>
> On Thu, 14 May 1998 00:08:54 -0400 (EDT) michelle miller-adams said:
> >I'd like to comment on the question raised last month by Rick Anderson
> >regarding why a publisher might decide to make its licenses
> >non-negotiable.  We at the University of Michigan Press have, in fact,
> >decided that the two site licenses we have written so far should not be
> >negotiable.  The first is for the Dictionary of Old English Corpus and the
> >second is for the Middle English Compendium. These licenses can be viewed
	<snip>
> >If there are other concerns that come to mind upon reading these
> >licenses, please let me know (you can communicate with me directly at
> >mbmiller@umich.edu).
> >
> >Michelle Miller-Adams
> >Manager, Digital Publishing
> >The University of Michigan Press