Threaded Index

Re: Ads in online journals

After reading Steve Melamut's comments, I wondered whether any of the
physicians ever rented a video from Moovies or Blockbuster.  And if so,
did they just sit through all the previews and ads for musical products OR
did they simply "FAST FORWARD" until they reached the feature
presentation. And if they knew how to do that, why not "fast forward"
through the ads on the medical videos?

If ads in online journals are a problem then why aren't we also discussing
ads in print journals, on the side of packages, on billboards, on tv shows
and in movie theaters?  Face it - this is part and parcel of the American
way of doing business. Just because an ad appears in an online
journal or web site does NOT mean that the online journal or web site
endorses the product. A disclaimer can be added to the ad from the
journal or web site if they want to indicate that they do not endorse the
products of their advertisers.  TV stations do it all the time.

Lois Weinstein, MLS, AHIP
Executive Director
The Medical Library Center of New York
Phone: (212) 427-1630   Fax: (212) 860-3496
email: mlcny@metgate.metro.org

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Steven Melamut wrote:

> Users are not necessarily rational beings. I know of a major medical library
> where the patrons (MDs) complained about the pharmaceutical advertisements in
> the first few minutes of a series of videotapes that the library had. The tapes
> are unavailable without the ads and the physicians said they would rather do
> without them.
>
> steve

>            Steven Melamut
>    Kathrine R. Everett Law Library
>     University of North Carolina
> CB #3385 Ridge Road    Chapel Hill, NC 27599
> melamut@email.unc.edu      melas@ils.unc.edu
> work: 919-962-1196         fax: 919-962-1193

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback