Threaded Index

Re: Ads in online journals, was: Re: CBC and Liblicense list

We seem to be using terms like "sponsorship" and "advertising" almost
interchangeably here -- but am I wrong in thinking that the two are
actually very different?  I'm thinking of the difference between the
underwriting that you see with public broadcasting (where sponsors are
mentioned and their products or services described, but there's little or
no "hyping" of the product itself) and the advertising that you see on
commercial TV or in magazines.  I'd feel more comfortable about seeing the
former in online journals than the latter, although I'm not sure I can
justify that feeling philosophically -- after all, most of the print
magazines and many of the journals we provide to patrons are full of
traditional advertising, so why should anyone expect an electronic product
to be different?

----------------------
Rick Anderson
Head Acquisitions Librarian
(and Official Librarian of the New Millennium)
Jackson Library
UNC Greensboro
1000 Spring Garden St.
Greensboro, NC 27402-6175
(336) 334-5281
rick_anderson@uncg.edu

"'Jazz' is just a word and really has no meaning.
We stopped using it in 1943."
                      -- Duke Ellington

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library