Threaded Index

Re: Passwords for Remote Access

There is also the alternative of authenticating users against your
patron circulation database, or a copy thereof.  That is what we do at
Humboldt State.  A drop-down box appears when the user comes in from an
off-campus provider, and they enter the last 6 digits of their bar code
for a login, and last name for password.  We've had to build this in the
library since the campus is rather poor and cannot afford the software
that is need to authenticate at the campus level.  But sure larger places
can afford these things, and the move toward intranets indicates a
wide-spread need for this functionality?

You should be able to see this in action by accessing our home page at
library.humboldt.edu, and trying to access one of the licensed indexes.
Let me know if you have any problems.

Mary Kay
Humboldt State University Library

On Sun, 11 May 1997, John R. James wrote:

> At Dartmouth we do as Tony described for Columbia.  However, this is not
> always possible.  It depends on how the provider has set up access to the
> product. Sometimes this solution cannot be made to work, and in those
> cases where it does, it creates something that has to be maintained--which
> can become a headache if a large number of products depend on this
> solution.
>
> John R. James
> Dartmouth College Library
> Hannover, New Hampshire 03755
> E-mail: john.r.james@dartmouth.edu
>
> ______________________________________
>
> --- Anthony W Ferguson wrote:
> As a matter of policy we do not give users passwords.  We first verify
> who they are using our own security system and then they can get to the
> resource.  The password is scripted in and is invisible to the user. tony
>
> Anthony W. Ferguson
> Associate University Librarian
> Columbia University Libraries
> Net: ferguson@Columbia.edu