Threaded Index

Re: Passwords for Remote Access

	In Delaware we offer two databases through DelAWARE, the State
Public Library Network.  Library customers and dial in users only need to
enter their barcode number and PIN to have access to the databases.

	Terry Plummer
	e> plummer@lib.de.us            * Delaware Division of Libraries
	v> 302-739-4748 ext 119         * 43 South DuPont Highway
	f> 302-739-6948                 * Dover, DE 19901

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Ann Okerson wrote:

> Last week, when Janice M. Jaguszewski, Collections Coordinator of the
> Science & Engineering Library at the University of Minnesota posted her
> detailed message about passwords for databases accessed remotely, she
> expressed a strong preference that the producer validate by IP rather than
> issuing a password to her institutional library -- whihc means, practicall
> speaking, having a librarian hand out the PW to each interested user.  She
> commented (and we have found this to be the case as well) that it is
> simply unwielding for our librarians to be distributors of the password.
>
> Janice also asked if it is permissible to somehow publish or include the
> password for her user community, for example, during the logon to the
> resource.  While we've heard some useful and important things about
> validation modes in general (a good topic: keep messages about it coming)
> we haven't heard any thoughts about the answer to her specific question.
>
> What do you all (publishers, librarians, lawyers) think that a library can
> do to avoid having to hand out the password; is publication to a specific
> user community acceptable?  Appropriate?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts,  The Moderators

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback