Threaded Index

RE: Passwords for Remote Access

Forwarded message:
>From henderso@cshl.org  Mon May 12 09:59:34 1997
From: Margaret Henderson <henderso@cshl.org>
To: "'Ann Okerson'" <aokerson@pantheon.yale.edu>
Subject: RE: Passwords for Remote Access
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:58:50 -0400

My situation is very different from a university but I thought it might
help.  I serve over 250 scientists, technicians, post-docs and grad
students, many of whom are eager to switch to online full-text services
(of course others would rather die than give up coming to the library each
day to read the new issues on the comfortable lounge chairs).  Anyway,
when I have to give out a password I put it as a special message with the
journal title on our internal WWW pages.  These internal pages can only be
accessed by lab people.  The same journal list is on our external site
(http://www.cshl.org/library) but if people try to access the CSHL
full-text access message, they get an error because the file is on the
internal server.  I must agree that IP access is preferable, especially
because we have a very easy one here.  I don't particularly like
BioMedNet, where each person has their own password although it is linked
to our library account.  I have had several people come in and tell me
that they forget their password and I have to depend on another person to
get back to them.

No matter what, it all means more work for us!

Sincerely,
Margaret Henderson
Head of Library Services
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Road
Cold Spring Harbor, NY  11724
(516)367-8493
fax (516)367-6843
henderso@cshl.org

Ann Okerson asked:

>What do you all (publishers, librarians, lawyers) think that a library
>can do to avoid having to hand out the password; is publication to a
>specific user community acceptable?  Appropriate?

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback