Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

>Libraries need to grasp that the more Big Publishing dominates
>the market, the more demanding it will become, and for that
>reason it is in the interests of libraries to do what they can
>to support smaller publishers, to encourage diversity in the
>supplier base.

Believe me, librarians grasp these things perfectly well. The
problem is that subscribing to journals isn't like buying cars.
With rare and well-funded exceptions, we don't select journals by
going out into a competitive marketplace and trying to find the
best product for the best price we can get. The journals we
subscribe to are the journals our faculty members tell us they
need in order to do their work. If we respond by saying "But that
journal is from Megapublisher X, and we're already giving that
publisher 35% of our serials budget. In order to encourage
diversity in the marketplace, we need to spend more of our money
with other, smaller publishers -- many of which offer journals
just as good as the one you're requesting," their rejoinder will
be "Are you crazy? The journal I'm requesting is the core journal
in my field. I don't care who publishes it; as things stand now,
I can't hire faculty in my department because when they find out
the library doesn't subscribe to that journal they withdraw from
consideration." (That, by the way, is a virtually direct quote
from one of the associate deans on my campus.)

This isn't the fault of publishers, by the way. It's simply the
way the information marketplace works. Copyright is a monopoly
right, and that means that each journal article is a
nonsubstitutable commodity. You get it from the copyright holder,
or you don't get it (or anything functionally like it) at all.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu