Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

>But Band does speak for the ARL and its member institutions,
>which is one reason I asked the question.

Jonathan Band has indeed provided legal advice to ARL and has
also testified on behalf of ACRL, ALA, and ARL in at least one
court case that I'm aware of. To my knowledge, however, he's not
an official spokesman for ARL (though I could be wrong about
that), and I can say for certain that he doesn't speak for all of
ARL's member institutions, because he certainly doesn't speak for
mine. I'm sure there are a few librarians who agree that when you
photocopy a research article for classroom use, that use is
"transformative." I can probably even guess who a few of those
librarians might be. But I've never heard any librarian make that
argument.

So the short answer to your question is no. I've seen no evidence
among my colleagues to support an expectation that the wildly
divergent trajectories of journal prices and library budgets will
lead to a wholesale rethinking of the definition of fair use,
regardless of what Jonathan Band says to ARL.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu