Re: ALPSP Maximising your Secondary Rights, London 12/7/11

But that is just the problem, isn't it, Joe?  if parts of the
system of scholarly communication work at cross purposes from
each other--as i have argued they do in many different ways among
just libraries, P&T committees, and librarians, each pursuing its
own "rational" self-interest--then the system ends up as
dysfunctional. Commercial publishers are out to make a profit
first and foremost, and if their actions have untoward
consequences for universities, they need not worry about
them--unless and until those consequences come back to bite them
in their profit margins. Top university administrators, however,
should be worrying about these irrationalities at the system
level and trying to do something about them. So far, it seems to
me, they have attacked one problem or another in isolation from
each other--e.g., advocating OA for journal publishing--without
looking at how the whole system operates as a collectivity of
different actors with multiple and often conflicting interests.

Sandy Thatcher