Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

>The staff editors and the members of the faculty editorial
>boards, however, do NOT function as "experts" in this process,
>but rather have a broader point of view, where issues of
>relevance and importance to the wider community of scholars
>(outside the narrow speciality of the book) and beyond to
>readers outside academe very much come into play.

Understood. But these presses don't typically sell very many
copies of the scholarly books they publish. Does this suggest
that the staff editors and faculty editorial boards who are
analyzing the marketplace don't know what they're doing? Or does
it suggest that they're consciously publishing high-quality books
for which they know there is low demand, in the time-honored
spirit of Thomas J. Wilson ("a university press exists to publish
as many good scholarly books as possible short of bankruptcy")?
I'm open to a third possibility, but I'm not sure what it might
be.

>Rick may not know this, but presses do turn a lot of books down
>on market grounds, because they do not think they are relevant
>or important enough to interest a wider audience.

Sandy may not know this, but I've worked in the book business. I
spent four years of my career elbow-deep in the products of UPs
and scholarly trade presses, analyzing their content, helping
academic libraries figure out which ones were best suited to
their collection parameters, and seeing how many of which ones
sold to what kinds of institutions. And I do know that presses
(even scholarly ones) turn down manuscripts on a regular basis in
light of market realities. But the books that get rejected aren't
at issue here; the problem we're discussing has to do with the
ones that get accepted and published. A book isn't more useful to
scholars just because ten other manuscripts were rejected as less
marketable.

>P.S. If librarians are worried about publishing based just on
>quality alone, then why are they so excited about PLoS ONE,
>which narrows the criteria even further, to just methodological
>soundness, not even assessing articles on the basis of
>substantive contribution?

I think there's a bit more ambivalence about PLoS ONE in the
library world than Sandy suggests, in part for the reason he
cites. But I can think of two reasons why at least some
librarians would be excited about it. The first is that they see
it as a force helping to move the publishing world in the
direction of open access. The second is that PLoS ONE articles
are available for free. Librarians tend to worry less about the
relevance and importance of articles that can be made available
to patrons at no cost and with a minimal investment of staff
time.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu