RE: Reed Elsevier results

1.It seems like this response conflates unlike things to make a
point.  Growth can certainly be dramatic without yet
marginalizing an old model, and that model may or may not
eventually be marginalized on a long time scale.  My personal
viewpoint is that this is neither a major nor a necessary
"strand" in OA advocacy.  There's a lot of advocates from a lot
of different standpoints, though, so yes, I've seen it in the mix
too.  I liked Suber's take on this area of discussion in his
recent interview.

If we were to indulge in a thought experiment, I'd guess such
marginalization would occur at a tipping point, and dramatically:
first other models are trialed, then successful models and
variants are pursued, then cooperative and collaborative efforts
expand (we may be entering the heyday of these now, see recent
developments) leading to more practical group-supported efforts,
then a group decision at a high level is perhaps made to do a
hard cut-over.  I personally don't see this as probable, if only
because there's a lot of moving pieces, each with their own
effects.  I'd guess we'll be dealing with lots of models for some
time to come, but change will continue.

...in any case, it seems silly to me to think that there's an
either/or as a necessary condition here.  OA journals have grown
dramatically -- some are very good (some not -- as with
commercial journals) -- some formerly for-profit and society
journals have chosen to become OA.  Some money is spent
supporting the OA journals and some experience gained.  Some
money is saved since these are not subscribed... 'sall good as
long as the experience accrues and the efforts evolve and do have
effect.

2.I think I read this once long ago, but I'm thinking more about
your posts and the SK.

3.There are vocal advocates for green OA better prepared than I
to take this up.  (Sorry, I noticed that, in my haste, I wrote
gold where I meant green in my original message to you ... this
is the problem with dashing out a note, but I think you
understood me anyway)

4.OK.

5.I think only a handful of the largest university publishers
have that option.  I'm not an expert.  Seems like the argument
for smaller university publishers has more to do with what
sources of subvention are most sustainable.  I'm only partly
kidding.  Seems to me they have to keep moving.  Anyway, this is
neither here nor there from my standpoint (we may be talking past
each other).

On a parallel track:  I tend to like models of library journal
publishing best, in that they seem to require the least overhead
-- not so much for the purpose of marginalizing anything, but
because they support scholarship, seem to be very cost-effective,
and perhaps help lead libraries to do more things better which
they should be doing (not just journals, but DH, e-research, data
hosting etc., digital object hosting etc., and so on ... this is
where much skill development and infrastructure effort need to
go).

6.There's no doubt some commercial publishers behave as greedy
despots and so they were bound to call forth legions of committed
opponents -- I started off thinking of this as historical
empiricism and ended by imagining luke skywalker, so you may be
at least a little right.  I've seen you summon up the words
theological and idealogical in the past to describe these hordes.
This has always struck as we/them labeling.  In reality, I think
there are lots of people casting about for a rational solution
(set of solutions)  in sometimes desperate seeming circumstances.

I think your longer response was much more considered than your
original response or at least more nuanced and I appreciate it.
I'm sorry myself that I can't do more than dash something off...

Regards,
Nat