Cancer Research Portals Launch on HighWire

From: http://highwire.stanford.edu/news/

Cancer Research Portals Launch on HighWire's ePublishing Platform

HighWire Press is proud to present a suite of themed portals for
the  American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), the world's
leading  professional organization representing physicians who
care for people  with cancer. The subject-specific cancer portals
(www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Cancer+Portals) are an invaluable one-stop
resource  for readers seeking scientific abstracts, videos, links
and other  materials. For publishers, the portals offer a glimpse
into the  flexibility of HighWire's Open Platform to re-purpose,
integrate and  monetize content within and beyond their
HighWire-hosted publications.

"We are thrilled with the results of our collaborative efforts
with  HighWire on the Cancer Portals on ASCO.org, as they are a
great resource  for physicians to discover the latest research
findings in various  cancer types," said Allen S. Lichter, MD,
CEO of the ASCO. "We couldn't  have asked for a more innovative
partner for this project than the  forward-thinking team at
HighWire Press."

The 11 ASCO Cancer Portals seamlessly incorporate content from
multiple  sources: the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the Journal
of Oncology  Practice, ASCO meeting sites, news and reference
sources, ASCO Clinical  Practice Guidelines, as well as incoming
links from PubMed and other  relevant HighWire-hosted colleague
publications. Each custom portal is  focused on a targeted
segment of oncology research, re-purposing content  and
presenting it in a way designed to reach new audiences.

"Themed sites, such as the ASCO Cancer Portals, are a clever way
to  frame a collection of scholarly content with related
information,  enabling an agile response to the needs of
readers", said John Sack,  HighWire's Founding Director. "As part
of our Open Platform Solutions,  HighWire is actively developing
a standardized mini-site template which  will allow publishers to
collect and connect content into useful,  relevant, highly
engaging, and quickly deployed sites."

The HighWire Open Platform solution set will enable publishers to
re-purpose, integrate and monetize content within and beyond
their  HighWire-hosted publications. The ASCO custom portal
mini-sites  integrate up to eight different types and sources of
information. This  comprehensive approach is being implemented
using Drupal, one of the  world's most popular open source
frameworks for website enhancement.

"One of the key objectives of HighWire's Open Platform is to
offer our  publisher clients a new set of opportunities for
visibility in the  market and increased possibilities for
discoverability and  monetization," remarked HighWire's Managing
Director, Tom Rump. "With  the support of Stanford University's
re-investment, HighWire has hired a  team of Drupal developers
who are collaborating with publishers on  HighWire's Open
Platform Solutions."

Complete announcement:
http://highwire.stanford.edu/PR/ASCOPortals.pdf

--