RE: query about the Big Deal

I don't know that there's a terribly widespread movement to
cancel Big Deals, but I do believe there is interest from
libraries. I was at the NASIG conference earlier this month,
where there was a very well-attended session on the topic.
Program description is below (from
http://www.nasig.org/conference_program.cfm)

(1) Leaving the Big Deal: Consequences and Next Steps Jonathan
Nabe, Southern Illinois University Carbondale; David Fowler,
University of Oregon

This session will focus on the consequences of leaving "Big
Deals," with the aim of addressing concerns of lost access and
community response, and easing the process for other institutions
considering taking this step. Specifically, two aspects of this
issue will be addressed. First, an analysis will be provided of
the impact, measured in terms of loss of access, changes in ILL
requests or document delivery services, response from the
community, and overall impact on the budget. Second, an
examination of the process for moving forward, focusing on
renegotiation, including terms such as multiyear vs year-by-year
subscriptions, price caps, cancellation allowances, and pitfalls,
including increased "content" fees and other surprises. Jonathan
Nabe, Collection Development Librarian at Southern Illinois
University, will share the experience at SIU's Morris Library,
which has left Big Deals from Wiley, Elsevier, and Springer in
the last two years. David Fowler, Head, Licensing, Grants
Administration, and Collection Analysis at the University of
Oregon, will discuss Oregon's experience with Big Deals from
Wiley and Elsevier.

Chris Bulock
Electronic Resources Librarian
Lovejoy Library