From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:29 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Another post about the Georgia State copyright case

A small clarification to Kevin Smith's comment below:  The
copyright checklist in use at Cornell was developed after the AAP
had withdrawn from direct confrontation with the University.  It
was prepared by Cornell's legal staff, without any input from the
AAP.

And I would challenge Tabb's characterization that Cornell
"capitulated" to the AAP in the first place.  We should know
better than to trust the press statements that the AAP issued to
make it look like it had won something.  In fact, if you compare
the previous ereserve policy to the current electronic course
content copyright guidelines, developed by a faculty group in
response to the discussions with the AAP, you will see that the
new policy is actually more open to fair use analyses than the
old one.  It was developed in the firm belief that decisions that
centered around the creation of print anthologies in commercial
copy operations (the MDS and NYU cases) were not applicable to
what libraries and universities do: making available
noncommercially and efficiently to students a selection of
materials that they can elect to view or print as part of their
educational endeavors.  There was no discussion between Cornell
and the AAP over what constituted acceptable fair use, and I
don't think any agreement could have been reached on the issue.

One of the most pleasant surprises about the GSU case has been
that Georgia State has been as forthright in defending fair use
as I think Cornell would have been had the disagreement
continued.

Peter Hirtle