Re: query about the Big Deal

Joe,

You might do well to have a look at the article by Maria Collins,
"Serials literature review 2008-9: embracing a culture of
openness", in _Library Resources & Technical Services_ 55.2
(April 2011), p.60-80 -- especially the sections "The Economic
Crisis and Sustainable Collections" (p.61-63) and "The Future of
the Big Deal" (p.63-65). She also cites quite a bit of the
relevant literature.

Also perhaps: David C. Prosser, "Reassessing the value
proposition: first steps towards a fair(er) price for scholarly
journals", in _Serials: The Journal for the Serials Community_
24.1 (March 2011), p.60-63; as well as Allen Powell, "Times of
crisis accelerate inevitable change", in _Journal of Library
Administration_ 51.1 (January 2011), p.105-129.

They are all available online -- but unfortunately not for free.

Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland