RE: Another post about the Georgia State copyright case

I have neither forgotten nor chosen to ignore any such thing; I
simply never suggested that the checklist was a part of the old
GSU policy.  A quick review of the thread will indicate that I
was responding to the claim that GSU's use of the checklist, in
its new policy, represented a "key difference" between that
policy and the one at Columbia.  I was pointing out that there is
not, in fact, a clear difference between how GSU presents its
checklist and how other schools, some of whom developed their
policies in consultation with the AAP, present their own
versions.  There was no "language that GSU added," they simply
borrowed their wording from a source they thought was safe.

I have studiously tried to keep my comments focused on the
current posture of the suit, including issues of how it is
financed, what its likely economic impact will be, and how the
policy actually being contested resembles or differs from those
at other institutions.  I thought we were discussing this last
point; if I misunderstood I apologize.

In general I think we have exhausted those issues that most
needed to be clarified, and I fear we have moved past the point
where this conversation is helpful to readers of the list.  With
thanks for the dialogue, I respectfully suggest that we let it
lapse until there is a decision, when we will all have fresh
material to consider.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University, Perkins Library