RE: Peggy Hoon on licenses

I don't have any answer to offer, Peggy. I think the
disagreements you report here are probably pretty common.

Here is another example. What if an author includes a CC-licensed
article in a book that is posted online for free in order to
induce sales of a print edition? Is the online use
"noncommercial" because no fee is charged for accessing the
online version but "commercial" in the print edition that is for
sale?

Does every use in a Gold OA publication become, ipso facto,
"noncommercial" because the work is free to the end user?
Wouldn't authors expect some kind of monetary benefit from use of
their material in a Gold OA publication that is making money for
its publisher? Down the line we may find the use of this CC
license has given away the store!  Gold OA publishers will be
delighted to get this windfall.

Sandy Thatcher