Re: Peggy Hoon on licenses

So, although the court that ruled in the Texaco photocopying case found the use in that context to be "commercial" because the research was of ultimate benefit to a for-profit enterprise, does this definition run contrary to that ruling and call this kind of use "noncommercial"? That could be confusing in light of the judicial precedent.

Does this mean that if a scholar were to post a collection of articles on an IR, that anthology would be deemed "noncommercial use" even though exactly the same act done through a non-profit university press would be "commercial use" because the publisher would be charging for it? What if the publisher (as most university presses do) operated on a cost-recovery model ("recovery of direct costs")? Would the addition of a modest royalty paid to the editor move this from "noncommercial" to "commercial"?

As you may see, I'm not convinced we still have full clarity even with this definition.

Sandy Thatcher

A number of model licenses have what appear to me a very clear definition of Commercial Use (BioOne has adopted this definition). This, from licensingmodels.org's Consortial License, is a good example:

Commercial Use Use for the purposes of monetary reward (whether by or for the Consortium or a Member or an Authorized User) by means of sale, resale, loan, transfer, hire or other form of exploitation of the Licensed Materials. Neither recovery of direct costs by the Consortium or any Member from Authorized Users, nor use by the Consortium or a Member or by an Authorized User of the Licensed Materials in the course of research funded by a commercial organization, is deemed to be Commercial Use.

Mark Kurtz | Director of Business Development | BioOne
21 Dupont Circle Suite 800 | Washington, DC 20036
mkurtz@arl.org
www.BioOne.org