RE: Peggy Hoon on licenses

What about this - tell me if this makes any sense.  Take a step
farther upline and ask the question, why does the license even
need a clause prohibiting commercial use?  Won't copyright law
handle it?  Like it does for print journals or print books?  That
is, if I, as an authorized user, access a library licensed online
journal, even without a clause addressing "commercial" or
"noncommercial" use, aren't I limited by copyright law as to what
and how much of what I read I can use anyway?  That is, assuming
no clause, if I take the entire article or a "larger than fair
use" (if you'll give me that leeway for purposes of this
discussion) portion and publish it, for free or for money, it
doesn't matter - I've still infringed, haven't I?  I mean, just
because I'm reading the work online as opposed to print,
copyright law still applies, yes?  I think re-publishing the work
(or a significant part) is protected either way - clause or no
clause.

What suffers is getting the blanket permission to use the whole
thing for non-commercial use.  Without a clause addressing
non-commercial use, the non-commercial user is also constrained
by copyright law and must resort to some sort of fair use
argument.  So maybe rather than trying to define what is or is
not commercial use, the vendor relies on copyright law; AND, if
so desires, states what uses of amounts beyond fair use amounts
are permitted.  Seems simpler...i think..

Peggy