RE: license requirement to expunge data, post termination

This is for an online database, yes? I'm wondering what "copies"
they expect you to return and/or destroy.

I've seen language like this pop up a couple of times, and it has
been just as you conjectured below--a product normally licensed
to a business. In one case, we were the first library the
licensor had ever licensed their product to, and they really
didn't understand how our operation worked. I explained to them
that this was simply something we did not have the power to
guarantee.  We can promise to delete any *library* copies
(especially since it's online, and we're just removing the link),
but that we don't have any way to make our individual *users*
delete portions of the data that they may have downloaded.

I would ask them exactly what the library is expected to *do* to
"expunge the Data," etc., in light of it being an online product.
Maybe it's things you already do. Then ask them to clearly
distinguish (in the license) between what you, the Licensee, are
expected to do vs. what your individual users are expected to do.
But make sure they understand that you as Licensee cannot
guarantee/enforce particular user behavior.

C. Derrik Hiatt
Electronic Resources Librarian
Z. Smith Reynolds Library
Wake Forest University