Authors paid by the impact factor? - it happens!

Learned Publishing, Issue 2, 2011, is now available.

>From the Editor

Authors paid by the impact factor?   it happens!

Yes it does. In China, at least. Our latest issue has a piece
which, while bemoaning the outflow of good papers from China,
actually gives the figures for payments which are made in some
universities for successfully publishing in journals with
"decent" impact factors (IFs) -- even to the extent of an
"official" table giving the amounts for the various IFs. How much
do you think it is for a paper in Nature or Science? -- No, it's
more than that. The paper also list a number of necessary (but
you may not think sufficient) things that have to happen to
indigenous titles if such an outflow is to be stemmed. And of
course, not everyone wants it to be!

And, talking of Impact Factors, we have an interesting piece from
the Horse's Mouth, so to speak (I hope Thomson Reuters don't mind
such a label), on exactly how the numerator of the IF is
established, just in case you thought it was simple. And what
about the denominator, you ask? Well, we're not indulging in
salami publishing in LP. An article was published on that some
time ago -- in another journal -- the reference is given, but I'm
not going to publicise another journal here. There will not be,
I'm sure, an article on how you divide one by the other.

But say your journal is not covered by such as Web of Science
etc? This of course is the case with many journals from the Third
World, but many others too. Don't despair, there are other ways
of getting an evaluation. An article from Professor Zainab points
the way, showing how they used Google Scholar and other methods.
It always seems to me that this is a bit of a case of the "more
the merrier" in that the more evaluation methods and metrics
there are, the less any one will dominate -- which is good if you
don't believe that any are fully sufficient to tell you what you
really want to know.

Then there are three pieces focusing on use of what is published
-- two surveys and an interesting and helpful innovation. The
innovation is the Journal Usage Statistics Portal (JUSP), which,
when fully operational, should take some of the grief out of
aggregating all those Counter statistics from a range of
publishers. Then Laura Cox reports on a survey on just how
libraries use usage stats. Carol Tenopir, one of the doyens of
measurement, and her team from Tennessee, report on how readers
perceive journals -- we all know, for example, how important the
actual and specific journal is to authors, but it turns out it's
pretty important to readers too. Read the piece to see all the
other aspects covered, as well as to find out what "conjoint
analysis" -- the main method used -- actually is (perhaps you
already know!).

"Data" is (or are) a rather topical issue (and we had a very good
scene-setting article in January), and there's an article by
Hailey Mooney just starting us off with a small survey seeing how
a group of authors do cite (or rather don't) used data sets in
the social sciences - I'm sure there'll be a lot more to come on
this issue, as long as I can get key players to write it up.

Have you heard of CrossMark? From the CrossRef people - it's all
about versions of record and how they can/should/might be
maintained and how you will know that they are etc. Carole Anne
Meyer from CrossRef takes you through what it is, and how it will
be used -- this should be important and extremely helpful to all
in all sectors of the scholarly communication community.

Last, but not least, there's the first in our series of "Selling
to the BRIC". The first is on Russia (no way I can keep to the
order of the acronym) from the people at the largest Russian
agency, NEICON. Not only does it give some interesting stats and
demographics, it charts the ways a publisher can try to enter
this market with its journals. Some hopeful signs, but the
message is clear -- when waiting for new subscriptions, don't
hold your breath.

Plus, of course, the usual tranche of meaty book reviews.

And, there's a thoughtful editorial on publishing ethics from our
new North American editor, the distinguished publisher (no,
distinguished doesn't mean old) Diane Scott-Lichter. It even
includes a cartoon -- are we ground-breaking or not?

  Alan Singleton
Editor, Learned Publishing
editor@alpsp.org

  All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to
journal subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters
to the Editors, as well as any articles where the author has
taken up the "ALPSP Author Choice" OA option, are now free to
all.  If you would like to receive an email alert or RSS feed
every time a new issue goes online, all you have to do is sign up
at http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp

To obtain free access to the journal, ALPSP members should access
it via the ALPSP website .  If you do not have a username and
password, please emailinfo@alpsp.org

Diane Scott-Lichter
North American Editor, Learned Publishing