Books at JSTOR Grows

Of possible interest:

Books at JSTOR Grows, Adding Prominent Academic Publishers
Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, and California University Presses To
Make Scholarly Books Available on JSTOR

March 24, 2011 - New York, NY -   Four prominent academic
publishers in the United States announced plans today to bring
their scholarly books online at JSTOR, one of the most well-known
and widely used scholarly research sites.  These include:
Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, and California University Presses.
This is the second wave of presses to join the Books at JSTOR
initiative.  The initial group included Chicago, Minnesota, North
Carolina, Princeton, and Yale University Presses.

"The digital landscape is taking shape for academic books, and we
are thrilled to be partnering with a set of publishers that share
our commitment to disseminating superior scholarship and an
organization that has a great track record of meeting the needs
of libraries and researchers," said Alison Mudditt, Director of
University of California Press.

JSTOR was founded in 1995 and began archiving and bringing online
the back issues of leading journals in economics and history,
including The American Economic Review, Econometrica, The
American Historical Review, and The William and Mary Quarterly,
among others.  The focus is similar with books.  Publishers are
being invited to join the initiative based on the relevance of
their titles to the content on JSTOR and importance of their
publications to scholars now and in the future - an approach many
librarians have come to rely on from JSTOR.

"JSTOR has altered the landscape for academic libraries and their
researchers, offering online access to a great variety of high
quality scholarship across many disciplines, through a
well-known, trusted platform. Books at JSTOR should expand the
range of opportunities for libraries to continue to build
collections of importance to our users, with confidence in their
future viability," according to David Magier, Associate
University Librarian for Collection Development at Princeton
University.

The press signings announced today, together with the original
group, will result in more than 15,000 front and back list titles
being made available at JSTOR. The presses are recognized as
leaders in a wide range of disciplines including history,
sociology, the arts, business and economics, and the life
sciences.

The group also aims to help scholars and students find high
quality and relevant books right when they need them.  In
addition to offering the ability to search across journals and
books, JSTOR includes more than 1 million book reviews and a vast
number of citations dating back hundreds of years in the 1,400
journals it makes available. The books will be linked with this
other content, creating a multitude of pathways through the
literature. Michael Spinella, JSTOR Managing Director noted, "We
are eager to expose this network, making it easy for faculty and
students to find and read books online, contextualize them with
other content, and gain a fuller and richer perspective on the
scholarly discussion."

"With JSTOR, we have a unique opportunity for our books to come
alive as part of a substantive and growing network of scholarly
literature," added James Jordan, Director of Columbia University
Press. "We're pleased to be part of an effort that will help
define how books and journals are used together in the emerging
scholarly digital environment."

Books will be available at JSTOR in spring 2012 and will be
preserved in Portico, among the leading digital preservation
services for the scholarly community. For more information,
please read about Books at JSTOR<bit.ly/fZbiHP> on the JSTOR
website.

JSTOR, a part of ITHAKA
Heidi McGregor
VP, Marketing & Communications