Re: "subsidy"

Hmm, we are used to using that term in scholarly publishing
without its having that kind of connotation. E.g., we talk of
applying for a publication subvention or subsidy to the NEH
(before its program, which used that name, stopped in the
mid-1990s) or to foundations like Getty or to funds like the
Meiss Fund at College Art. We speak of a university providing an
"operating subsidy" to its press. There is nothing remotely
suggesting any negative attitude here, certainly nothing that
connotes "vanity" publishing. Peer review is conducted apart from
financial assessment of need for a subsidy. I therefore felt
little compunction about referring to journal surpluses as
cross-subsidizing monograph publishing, which for most presses
loses money. Other presses try to create these surpluses through
publishing trade or regional or reference books. We believe in
the books as much as we believe in these other forms of
publishing; indeed, in some cases, we wouldn't even have ventured
into these other arenas but for the need to cross-subsidize,
since the operating subsidies most universities have provided
have not themselves sufficed to make up for the losses of
monograph publishing. I think whatever taint the word "subsidy"
might have acquired in some quarters is undeserved, and indeed
seriously misleading, in reference to monograph publishing.

Sandy Thatcher