Re: "subsidy"

In this sense, in a single journal, the best-read articles are
'subsidising' the least-read ones. In any portfolio, there are
elements that 'subsidise' other elements. Besides, what's wrong
with subsidy? Pretty much all research is subsidised. And what
are subscriptions other than micro-subsidies? (Or not so 'micro',
as the case may be.)

It's a lot of small subsidies that a business model make.

Jan Velterop