Amazon Kindle e-book license agreements

For those libraries not limiting Kindle content to public domain
books, how are they getting around this part of the license
clause? This also begs the question about a license controlling
public domain material. I'm interpreting "distribute" , correctly
or incorrectly, to also mean "loan."

Restrictions.
Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent,
lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense or otherwise assign any
rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third
party, and you may not remove any proprietary notices or labels
on the Digital Content. In addition, you may not, and you will
not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to, bypass,
modify, defeat or circumvent security features that protect the
Digital Content.

I have heard of situations where a library owns the Kindle, and
will pay for the e-book the patron wants, but then erase the
e-book copy after the patron is finished with the book. This
sounds perfectly reasonable from an Amazon perspective, but I'm
not so sure the restriction even allows that. I have also heard
of libraries that just buy the physical device and let the patron
pay for the downloaded e-books.

I think many libraries are interested in getting Kindles and
similar reading devices. I wonder if any organization or
coalition is talking with Amazon on our behalf?

(Of course after reading this, no library will probably want to
say what they're doing with Kindles :) )

Chris LeBeau
Assistant Teaching Professor
University of Missouri
School of Information Science & Learning Technologies
& Research & Instruction Librarian, Business & Public Admin.
UMKC University Libraries