Re: Another Poynder Eye-Opener on Open Access

Quite a long piece on PLOS (that is, Richard Poynder's, not
Professor Harnad's comment).  I am surprised with myself for
having read it, and astounded that anyone wrote it.

No doubt Poynder's piece is going to receive a great number of
comments, and I won't be surprised if my fellow bloggers at what
Professor Harnad derisively refers to as the Scholarly Scullery
decide to write about this, but I think Poynder is making an
analytical error in working at too granular a level.  Thus he
poses the question of whether PLOS One subsidizes the PLOS
flagship journals.

"Subsidy" is the wrong term.  An analogy:  Elite U.'s English
department offers a Chaucer seminar every year, which draws on
average 4 students.  Elite U. also offers a course called Sex in
Literature every semester, which attracts (!) 500 students each
semester.  The university handles its accounts by giving each
course credit for every student enrolled.  Those credits are then
compared to the expense of offering each course. Some courses are
thus deemed to have surpluses, some deficits.

In this analogy, the Chaucer seminar "loses" money, the Sex in
Literature course makes a bundle.  But it's the wrong way to look
at it, as students don't purchase education a la carte; they buy
the menu (in other contexts, this is known as the Big Deal).  To
say that Elite U. is "subsidizing" Chaucer misses the point.
Would you have an elite academic institution that did not offer a
class on Chaucer?  (I fear someone is going to tell me that
Chaucer is not taught at their institution.)

PLOS has different kinds of peer-review systems, different fees,
different expectations from its authors and readers.  But it's
one entity.  I think it is very cleverly managed.

Joe Esposito