Another Poynder Eye-Opener on Open Access

Poynder, Richard (2011) PLoS ONE, Open Access, and the Future of
Scholarly Publishing. Open and Shut. 7 March 2011.
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2011/03/plos-one-open-access-and-future-of.html
ABSTRACT: Open Access (OA) advocates argue that PLoS ONE is now
the largest scholarly journal in the world. Its parent
organisation 'Public Library of Science (PLoS)' was co-founded in
2001 by Nobel Laureate Harold Varmus. What does the history of
PLoS tell us about the development of PLoS ONE? What does the
success of PLoS ONE tell us about OA? And what does the current
rush by other publishers to clone PLoS ONE tell us about the
future of scholarly communication?

Comment:

Richard Poynder has written another timely and important
eye-opener about Open Access. Although (as usual!) I disagree
with some of the points Richard makes in his paper, I think it is
again a welcome cautionary piece from this astute observer and
chronicler of OA developments across the years.

(1) Richard is probably right that PLOS ONE is over-charging and
under-reviewing (and over-hyping).

(2) It is not at all clear, however, that the solution is to
deposit everything instead as unrefereed preprints in an IR and
then wait for the better stuff to be picked up by an "overlay
journal". (I actually think that's utter nonsense.)

(3) The frequently mooted notion (of Richard Smith and many
others) of postpublication "peer review" is not much better, but
it is like a kind of "evolutionarily unstable strategy" that
could be dipped into experimentally to test what scholarly
quality, sustainability, and scaleability it would yield -- until
(as I would predict) the consequences become evident enough to
induce everyone to draw back.

(4) Although there is no doubt that Harold Varmus's stature and
advocacy have had an enormous positive influence on the growth of
OA, in my opinion Richard's is attributing far too much
prescience to Harold's original 1999 E-biomed proposal. [See my
1999 criticisms. Although I was still foolishly flirting with
central deposit at the time (and had not yet realized that
mandates would be required to get authors to deposit at all), I
think I picked out the points that eventually led to incoherence;
and, no, PLOS was not on the horizon at that time (even BMC
didn't exist).]

(5) Also, of course, I think Richard gives the Scholarly Scullery
way too much weight (though Richard does rightly state that he
has no illusions about those chefs' motivation -- just as he
stresses that he has no doubts about PLOS's sincerity).

(6) Richard's article may do a little short-term harm to OA, but
not a lot. It is more likely to do some good.

(7) I wish, of course, that Richard had mentioned the alternative
that I think is the optimal one (and that I think will still
prevail), namely, that self-archiving the refereed final draft of
all journal articles (green OA) will be mandated by all
universities and funders, eventually causing subscription
cancellations, driving down costs to just those of peer review,
and forcing journals to convert to institutional payment for
individual outgoing paper publication instead of for incoming
bulk subscription. The protection against the temptation to "dumb
down" peer review to make more money is also simple and obvious:
no-fault refereeing charges.

(8) Richard replied that the reason he did not dwell on Green OA,
which he too favors, is that he thinks Green OA progress is still
too slow (I agree!) and that it's important to point out that the
fault in the system is at the publisher end -- whether non-OA
publisher or OA. I continue to think the fault is at the
researcher end, and will be remedied by Green OA self-archiving
by researchers, and Green OA self-archiving mandates by research
institutions and funders

Harnad, S. (2010) No-Fault Peer Review Charges: The Price of
Selectivity Need Not Be Access Denied or Delayed. D-Lib Magazine
16 (7/8).

Harnad, S. (2009) The PostGutenberg Open Access Journal. In:
Cope, B. & Phillips, A (Eds.) The Future of the Academic Journal.
Chandos.

Stevan Harnad
American Scientist Open Access Forum
EnablingOpenScholarship