Re: Persee in danger. Please support it.

This sounds to me like the official excuse. The local university,
duly supported by a fair amount of money from the French
government, has harboured this project for the last eight years.
The sudden change in tone cannot be entirely attributed to the
new forms of autonomy for French universities. In fact, this
newly-gained autonomy would be a good basis to support a
programme that could easily bring fame and visibility to an
autonomous institution. Furthermore, it was not planned at the
national level (I was an active observer of that phase at the
time), but the government reacted to the fact that some French
schoalrly journals were thinking of using JSTOR for retroactive
digitization. Jean-Noel Tronc convened a meeting in the offices
of the Prime Minister (that was Jospin at the time, and Tronc was
his scientific adviser). I sat on that meeting in Matignon. The
result was a national contest to devolve the project to the best
institution. Rennes applied, and so did INIST if I remember
correctly, and perhaps other institutions as well. Lyons won
because it looked like the most promising berth for a
digitization project funded by the government. Lyons' choice was
decided in part on local skills, and on the fact that, because of
a fire in the library, the university was already involved in
rebuilding its collections digitally. All this was in 2003.

The need to find viable financing for such problems is obvious.
However, note that I am using the word 'viable', not sustainable.
Sustainability involves a degree of self-sufficiency which often
rests on some market mechanism that allows for the persistence of
an endeavour. Seen from this perspective, scientific research is
not sustainable, but it has been highly viable for the last three
centuries because governments have generally understood the
importance of this kind of pre-competitive investment to support
a vibrant industrial scene and a cutting-edge army. It is my
belief that projects such as  retrospective digitization of
journals do not have to be sustainable, but can still be viable
through some intelligent combination of governmental and
para-governmental funds. Let us remember that JSTOR, for example,
locks up behind its digitized data bases of articles a number of
texts that are now in the public domain.

Looking for new economic models is fine, so long as we are not
looking artificially to recreate pseudo-market conditions as if
markets were the alpha and the omega of the world. Many human
activities, including some very costly ones (e.g. wars) are not
market-driven. Why should retrospective digitization be?

Jean-Claude Guedon