Project MUSE Editions and UPeC Announce Merger

TWO MAJOR UNIVERSITY PRESS E-BOOK INITIATIVES ANNOUNCE MERGER

For Immediate Release
March 10, 2011

For more information, contact:
Dean J. Smith, Director
Project MUSE
djs@press.jhu.edu
410-516-6981

Two major university press e-book initiatives --Project MUSE
Editions (PME) and the University Press e-book Consortium (UPeC)
-- have joined forces. The result of this merger -- the
University Press Content Consortium (UPCC) -- will launch January
1, 2012.

'This is a great moment,' said Kathleen Keane, director of the
Johns Hopkins University Press, home of Project MUSE. 'By
bringing these two initiatives together, we have taken a major
step forward to ensure the ongoing viability of university
presses.'

The partnership allows e-books from an anticipated 60-70
university presses and non-profit scholarly presses --
representing as many as 30,000 frontlist and backlist titles --
to be discovered and searched in an integrated environment with
content from nearly 500 journals currently on MUSE.

'Our user community will benefit greatly from the integrated
research opportunities presented by putting university press book
content alongside journal collections,' said Dean Smith, director
of Project MUSE. 'Publishers and authors will see their books
exposed to MUSE's installed base of several million scholars,
researchers, and students across the globe.'

'The University Press Content Consortium will be the online
destination for peer-reviewed university press scholarship,' said
Steve Maikowski, director of the New York University Press and
one of the press directors spearheading UPeC. 'The efficiencies
and cost savings resulting from this collaboration will bring far
more revenue to participating presses than current third-party
models,' he said. 'Because both initiatives are university-press
based, there is a strong mission alliance.'

The merger is part of a multimillion-dollar commitment to the
ongoing growth and expansion of Project MUSE, according to
director Dean Smith. 'By leveraging the MUSE brand and investing
in technology that ensures the program's future performance, we
can grow at a rapid pace while continuing our 15-year tradition
of providing quality scholarly content at a fair price.'

Representatives of UPeC and PME worked closely with librarians
over the past two years to develop a scholarly e-book model that
benefits both libraries and presses. Incorporating extensive
research and feasibility analysis from both groups, the UPCC
Collections will be sold by MUSE in comprehensive and
subject-based collections, with minimal digital rights
management.

'Members of the academic library community appreciate that these
two groups sought our input before developing their product
offerings,' said Charles B. Lowry, executive director of the
Association of Research Libraries (ARL). 'We have been saying for
some time that we would prefer to see university press e-book
content not proliferated across multiple platforms creating undue
complexity and duplicative cost. I feel sure that librarians
nationwide will be excited about this convergence, which is a
huge step in the right direction.'

'ARL has expressed to our community the desire of academic
librarians for better collaboration in the distribution of
university press e-book collections,' said Richard Brown,
director of Georgetown University Press and current president of
the Association of American University Presses. 'I am delighted
that these two groups took the concerns of the library community
so seriously.'

Research on the feasibility of a university press?based scholarly
e-book initiative was commissioned by the UPeC directors in 2009
with grants from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Working from
the outset with two groups of highly experienced
consultants?Informed Strategies, which surveyed the needs of the
library community, along with Chain Bridge Group, which developed
and tested the business model?UPeC began its search for a
business partner three months ago. While a number of potential
partners offered exciting opportunities, JHUP's success in
balancing the interests of publishers and librarians informed
UPeC's selection of MUSE, according to Maikowski.

Content integration, collaboration, and sustainability have
emerged as watchwords from this new alliance.

'The creation of UPCC signals a new era of inter-university press
collaboration,' said Alex Holzman, director of Temple University
Press and one of the founding directors of UPeC. 'In these
challenging times, presses need to acknowledge one of their key
strengths -- excellent scholarship -- and work together to be
able to disseminate this scholarship as widely as possible.'

Keane agrees. 'This is a significant and transformative moment in
the world of scholarly publishing,' she said. 'It bodes well for
the future of university presses.'

About the University Press e-book Consortium (UPeC)
The University Press e-book Consortium (UPeC) emerged in 2009 to
explore the feasibility of a university press?based e-book
initiative. Five press directors serve as UPeC principals: Steve
Maikowski, New York University Press; Alex Holzman, Temple
University Press; Marlie Wasserman, Rutgers University Press;
Eric Halpern, University of Pennsylvania Press; and Donna Shear,
University of Nebraska Press. UPeC planning and development was
supported by two grants from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

About Project MUSE
Project MUSE is a leading provider of digital humanities and
social science periodical content; since 1995, its electronic
journal collections have supported a wide array of research needs
at academic, public, special, and school libraries worldwide.
MUSE is the sole source of complete, full-text versions of
journal titles from many of the world?s leading university
presses and scholarly societies, with over 100 publishers
currently participating.