Managing Web sites

I have commented before on some of the complexities of building
and managing Web sites to attract traffic and to direct users to
desirable outcomes (e.g., discovery, purchase).  An article on
the SearchEngineLand blog has a diagram of all that is involved.
It's worth taking a look:

http://selnd.com/gJKOY9

Some general points to be made here.  First, the complexity of
this diagram comes as no surprise to consumer Web-marketers, but
may be news to academic marketers (I just had an ordeal with the
Hunter College Web site that left me gasping for air).  In all
matters Internet, consumer infrastructure will come to dominate,
because that is where the numbers are and infrastructure (though
not content) is built for the numbers.  Second, to some extent
this (the lack of awareness of the complexity) is the reason that
so many free resources are hard to find and use.  (Note the use
of the word "some." There are free services, PLoS being perhaps
the most conspicuous example, that are very much Web-native.)

I am currently working on a project in the OER space, and
discoverability or its lack is the biggest problem. Third, how
many institutions have a budget and plan to get them beyond
"post-and-forget"?  The message is not complete when you press
"send" with an email, but when it is received, read, and
understood.  This is life-cycle marketing, and it applies to
academic materials as much as to pop tunes and works of
commercial fiction.

Joe Esposito