Re: PDA Sales (was Interview with Springer's Derk Haank)

This is VERY enlightening, Michael, and thanks for providing all
these details, which help allay some of my concerns about the
effects of PDA on monograph publishing. Still, there is a problem
that many smaller presses are not equipped to sell e-books by
themselves but can only afford to do so through
aggregators--which was also true for smaller journal publishers.
But how does PDA apply, if at all, to aggregations like Project
Muse, JSTOR, and UPeC? PDA presumably means item-by-item
purchasing, not purchasing in bulk (which is more like the "Big
Deal"). Although I know some, maybe all, of these aggregators
will offer subsets of their e-book databases, they still will not
be offering individual title purchasing, will they? And, if not,
what does PDA mean in this context? Will it then be applied as a
supplementary tool, to plug gaps left by the packages?

Sandy Thatcher