Re: PLoS ONE: now the world's largest journal?

I have no opinion on this but out of curiosity I unscientifically
counted 315 articles in the latest issue of PLoS One.

At $1350 article processing charge per article, maybe $425,250
was taken in on this issue.

Again, an unscientific method...if all 12 issues per year have
315 articles, that would be over five million dollars in article
processing charges,

I don't know what to think of this, but I think the general
figures are pretty interesting.

To follow up on the above, I did the arithmetic hypothetically:
if a commercial journal has 1000 subscribers and charges $5000
per year per subscription, that also comes to about $5,000,000.
Kind of shows what an open access publisher can be up against.

Matthew Person
Technical Services Coordinator
MBLWHOI Library
MBL Center for Library and Informatics
www.mblwhoilibrary.org
The MBLWHOI Library is a founding member of the Biodiversity
Heritage Library
www.biodiversitylibrary.org