Re: End of Free Access in Bangladesh

Having raised this issue on the list I feel that I should offer
an update and some clarification.

The Lancet (published by Elsevier) has an editorial decrying the
removal of free access of a number of journals from HINARI for
researcher in Bangladesh and reporting that both the AAAS and
Elsevier have now reinstated access:

http://download.thelancet.com/flatcontentassets/pdfs/S0140673611600664.pdf

However, a comment article in the Lancet paints a rather
depressing picture:

http://download.thelancet.com/flatcontentassets/pdfs/S0140673611600676.pdf

It would appear that a number of the poorest countries in the
world have had free access removed.  The article also points out
that Springer offers discounted access, not free access.  I'm
afraid that I forwarded a note from Springer claiming that access
was free through the INASP programme.  This was incorrect and I
apologise for the disinformation.

David