RE: Universities May be Failing to Sufficiently Teach Basic Research

I agree that one should not be arguing that library leased
databases are better than Google databases.  Each, the Googles
and databases, have benefits and both the Googles and databases
should be used for the benefits each provide.  Google Scholar
often gets users to sources citing a found source in a search
result and Google Scholar can find more results than a database
search.  Google books can find topic pertinent information within
a book that one would never suspect to be there or would never
find without access to this tool.  On the other hand, the ability
to do multistep complex searches, to use proximity operators not
limited to exact phrases, and to limit search statements to
specific fields like title or subject headings, amongst other
features, in combination allow users of bibliographic databases
to do far more precise searching which can save huge amounts of
time in wading through lots of source citations to find a few
that are on target for ones research topic as can often happen in
Google search results with its limited one step and out search
interface.

Google also is prone to very inconsistent and inaccurate search
result numbers that are logically inconsistent with numbers in
related searches, so that one can never be sure of any degree of
comprehensiveness using Google search results.  I have seen this
on web search Google, but have not tested this on other Google
databases.  Library services and tools are not necessarily for
generations past because they are not known or used by todays
students, teachers or scholars.  Better marketing of these
resources is also a possible need and producers of products
libraries purchase, such as journal producers and databank and
database providers need to be a strong source of this kind of
public service promotion of libraries as go to places for quality
research resources, not just the libraries themselves.

Keep in mind that the market for database and other publication
products may be greatly reduced if libraries are not there to
provide access to these products.  Lobbying state governments to
provide public library and K-12 library access to databases for
general information needs will facilitate some learning of these
tools, if taught in K-12, before students get to college, and
K-12 instrucion in database saerching technique and information
literacy is another area in which database and databank providers
should be proactive.  A major part of the battle to teach
students how to do research is lost if students come to college
with none of these database searching skills in their background.

David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu