RE: Universities May be Failing to Sufficiently Teach Basic Research

Maybe librarians should re-evaluate the traditional services---If
students can get by by never having "been to a library and never
seen or used an online database," maybe some of our services are
no longer essential to them.

Maybe we should re-define what "basic research" is in the 21st
century. Maybe we should ask ourselves why students do not have
the perception that they need us, as mentioned by Rick Anderson
and Bernie Sloan in recent posts.

Maybe in fact (or indeed) they do not need us as much as we
think, because, A. search and access have been made easier by
Google, Amazon, OpenURL and Open Access; B. we are too much
behind by the Google standard.

Maybe it is the time for us to stop trying to convince them that
library databases are better than Google Scholar or PubMed,
because we may not have scientific data to back us up.

Xiaotian Chen
Bradley University Library
Peoria, Illinois
http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~chen/