Re: ebook acquisition collectives

There's also the question of buying patterns, i.e. who buys what
when.

Suppose that Joe's 25% estimate is correct. Then divide the sales
between the first year of publication and all subsequent years.
If libraries front-load their purchases, and most of non-library
purchasers don't, then it would be very hard to make the
economics of library collective rights acquisition work. This
could change if libraries shift to just-in-time purchasing.

Similarly, if the libraries are mostly buying ebooks, and others
are mostly buying print, then library collective acquisition of
ebook rights only could look extremely attractive to both
libraries and publishers.

If there are libraries or publishers that would be willing to
provide access to relevant data, I would be very interested to
talk with you.

Eric

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.