From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu <owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thu Aug 19 05:13:52 2010
Subject: Re: ebook acquisition collectives

I'd like to respond to this by suggesting that we may be on a
path "back to the future." As I was contemplating Eric's
proposal, it occurred to me that we once had a system in place in
England whereby books were only published once there was a market
known to exist for them.  Since my own knowledge of this system
is sketchy, I called upon a true book historian, Jim West at Penn
State, to provide the details, which he has generously done, as
follows:

[snip]