Re: ebook acquisition collectives

The notes from Sandy, Joe and Todd were outstanding examples of
the excellence of this list. Thanks!

First, I should point everyone to the talk given by Frances
Pinter at Tools of Change in February:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ca42Io0f8&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=C1BD412D581098AF
She proposed the formation of an "International Library Coalition
for Open Books" which is pretty close to what I was thinking of.
I'm told she is presenting at Charleston this November; Katina
was listening, Sandy!

I'm a pretty strong believer in markets. I imagine a library
collective as creating a more efficient market for assets which
are current deployed awkwardly. Publishers would be free to offer
any property at any price so long as it offered appropriately
open ebook access. The library collective would weigh the price
and quality of each asset before deciding, using automated
systems,  which ones to collectively acquire. Building
internet-based electronic markets is a technology that is
reasonably well understood; librarians are familiar with
automated purchasing systems and even with collaborative
selection. To address one of Sandy's points, I don't think it too
hard to put an expiration date on an publisher's offer- we've all
heard of eBay.

I appreciate the clarity which which Joe presented the
book-as-asset viewpoint. I'm surprised that he thinks publishers
would be so unbusinesslike about their assets, though. I would
have thought most publishers are more interested in the
production and launch of books than in servicing them. From a
business point of view, books are like the loans made by banks.
You put out money up front, and then let the cash flow in over
many years.

The banking industry is far advanced from that. The banks that
originate the loans don't service them any more, they sell off
the loans so they can make new loans. And, no that's not what led
to the banking crisis. Publishers of all stripes should likewise
be willing to cash in their book assets and use the proceeds to
produce new ones.

Todd, your point that non-profit publishers have costs, not
prices, is true when averaged over catalogs. but even non-profit
publishers have winners and losers that cost about the same to
produce. Winners subsidize the losers. You wouldn't sell your
winners at the same aggregate price you'd sell your losers.

Sandy's comments about managing print inventory brings up an
issue that never occurred to me, as I've not been in the book
business. There are a couple of answers. First of all, smaller
print runs and more POD minimize the risk of printing too many
books. This is happening anyway. Second, I assume that publishers
can build in print risk to the price they ask for. If it's really
only 25% of first copy cost, well that's only 25%.

I imagine a heterogeneous channel. Tthe typical library-acquired
OA title might have had a toll access run of a year or so; the
publisher could capture the most eager purchasers using DRM'd
delivery systems. Most libraries would wait for the discounted OA
acquisition, thus creating a market segmentation similar to
hardcover/paperback.

Some publishers might try to sell books even before issue; it
could work. Some books won't get bought at any price, let alone
the cost to produce them; others would probably be bought even at
an obscene profit margin. Some things won't change.

Most libraries want to treat anyone who walks in the door as a
patron. That gets sticky when you consider ebooks. It means DRM
and access controls, which means a certain amount of hassle. One
beautiful aspect of the open access ebook is that you don't need
to invest in a delivery system. the OA books just piggyback on
the delivery systems built for paid ebooks. The DRM
incompatibilities between iPad, Kindle, Nook, Sony, Google etc
just melt away. Certainly there will be content for which
institutional access will be advantageous; but I can't believe
this is true for all content.

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.
41 Watchung Plaza, #132